Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield, Eckrich ®, Nathan's Famous ®, Farmland ®, Armour ®, Farmer John ®, Kretschmar ®, John Morrell ®, Cook's ®, Gwaltney ®, Carando ®, Margherita ®, Curly's ®, Healthy Ones ®, Morliny ®, Krakus ® and Berlinki ®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs.
The Category Development Manager (CDM) will help Smithfield develop and earn a \u201ctrusted adviser\u201d status with key, strategic retailers and works closely with sales teams to help retailers grow their sales and profits from all Pork categories. Analyzes data from various sources to uncover opportunities and insights and to leverage fact based information to win in the marketplace. Leverages experience and knowledge of category management processes to support the execution of Smithfield brand strategies and tactics that drive top line and bottom line growth for our company. Supports and works primarily with Division Sales Directors and/or Regional Sales Managers to facilitate the creation of fact based sales presentations and generates winning assortment, shelving, pricing, and promotion recommendations. Frequently interfaces with the customer to represent the \u201cface of Pork category management\u201d within our company, makes retailer specific recommendations, and turns insights into action.Core Responsibilities
Syndicated Data Research, Analysis, and Reporting
- Responsible for customization, reporting and analysis of category information for assigned customer(s).
- Acts as an expert on utilizing and leveraging syndicated databases to include customer-specific data warehouse information and loyalty card analysis (e.g., IRI, Fresh Facts, Panel, Customer Specific, etc).
- Researches/integrates data from various sources to identify market opportunities and creates insights.
Strategic and Tactical Execution
- Recommends strategic/tactical elements of Category Business Plans to Sales Teams and Customers.
- Develops customer-specific insights & recommendations by reviewing analytics, turns insights into action and drives winning sales recommendations on assortment, shelving and merchandising strategies.
- Works with sales teams and supports sales presentation development.
- Attends meetings with customers, makes presentations and acts as the category expert in Pork.
- Leverages internal and external resources to grow Smithfield branded distribution, making category enhancing assortment and shelving recommendations in key Pork categories.
- Reviews compliance of DSMPs at customer level.
Category Focused Sales Support
- Develops or customizes Customer Sales Presentations, New Item Presentations (core & innovation), Category and Business Reviews with and in support of various team members.
- Interfaces with customers in support of consumer & shopper insight application.
- Leads discussions and/or presentations where a category management focus is required to position products or ideas as a solution for the customer and helps build category management competencies within sales.
Maintenance and Enhancements of Data, Systems, and Expertise
- Leads the continual enhancement of analytical tools & syndicated data resources used by the organization.
- Acts as a catalyst to help enhance the category management expertise of the organization.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and minimum 7+ years’ relevant experience; required.
- MBA, preferred.
- Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) experience in sales, marketing, category management or trade marketing; required.
- 3+ years of experience with syndicated data (IRI, Nielsen, etc.), required.
- Demonstrated mastery of category management processes and quantifiable, success as a category captain, validator, etc. Knowledge of assortment tools and planogram software, preferred.
- Must be highly proficient in MS Power Point and Excel, plus syndicated data tools & applications.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to prioritize projects and produce high quality and quantity outputs that adds value to the company, required.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, required.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits